Garbage & Recycling
The recycling program has been progressing thanks to the dedication of caring constituents, and we sincerely thank all of you. Recycling is required by Code: Chapter 407-16. Help protect the environment and lower our landfill disposal cost!
Reminder to All City Residents
The schedule for garbage pick-up has not changed. You are to still set out your regular household garbage (MSW) on the previously assigned night according to the Ward that you live in. All recycling is to be placed out in the new recycling carts Thursday evenings for Friday pick-up.
Make sure all household garbage is set out in City issued green garbage cart(s) and only recycling is set out in City issued blue recycling cart(s).
City of Middletown residents: please remember that dumping of any type of medical waste in your regular household garbage or recycling is not permitted.
Garbage Schedule by Ward
- 1st Ward Garbage is put out at the curb on Wednesday evening for pick up on Thursday morning
- 2nd Ward Garbage is put out at the curb on Monday evening for pick up on Tuesday morning
- 3rd Ward Garbage is put out at the curb on Tuesday evening for pick up on Wednesday morning
- 4th Ward Garbage is put out at the curb on Sunday evening for pick up on Monday morning
View the Ward by Street (PDF) index to confirm what ward you are in.
2023 Holiday Garbage Collection Schedule
There will be no garbage pick up on City holidays. Garbage or recyclables will be picked up the following day. Holidays include:
- Monday, January 16, 2023 - Martin Luther King Day
- Monday, February 13, 2023 - Lincoln's Birthday
- Monday, February 20, 2023 - President's Day
- Friday, April 7, 2023 - Good Friday
- Monday, May 29, 2023 - Memorial Day
- Tuesday, July 4, 2023 - Independence Day
- Monday, September 4, 2023 - Labor Day
- Monday, October 9, 2023 - Columbus Day
- Friday, November 10, 2023 - Veterans Day (Observed)
- Thursday, November 23, 2023 - Thanksgiving Day
- Monday, December 25, 2023 - Christmas Day
- Monday, January 1, 2024 - New Year's Day
Residential Bulk Trash Collection
There will be a charge for any bulk trash collected. Appointments can be made at the Public Works office once the charge has been paid. Doors must be removed from appliances. Excludes:
- Car parts
- Construction debris
- Fuel oil
- Propane tanks
- Hazardous materials
If the items fill more than a single axle dump truck, they will be picked up but you will be billed for the additional cost based on time and material.
2023 City of Middletown Recycling Schedule
City Code: Chapter 407-16. There will be Saturday recycling pickup for the weeks that have a holiday in them. All recycling must be put in bins and put out the night before the following dates:
- January 7, 13, 21, 27
- February 3, 10, 18, 25
- March 3, 10, 17, 24, 31
- April 8, 14, 21, 28
- May 5, 12, 19, 26
- June 3, 9, 16, 23, 30
- July 8, 14, 21, 28
- August 4, 11, 18, 25
- September 1, 9, 15, 22, 29
- October 6, 14, 20, 27
- November 3, 11, 17, 25
- December 1, 8, 15, 22, 30
Acceptable recyclable materials include:
- Plastic containers codes numbers 1 to 7
- Milk and juice cartons, juice boxes
- Metal cans
- Aluminum cans/empty aerosol cans
- Glass bottles (clear, green and brown)
- Frozen food containers, aluminum foil/foil pans
- Brown/kraft grocery bags
- Notebook paper/computer, fax and copy paper
- Telephone and paperback books, soft covered workbooks
- Corrugated cardboard
- Construction paper, white and colored ledger paper
- Junk mail/coupons/envelopes
All of the listed acceptable materials must be rinsed clean.
- Paper soiled with grease/paint, etc.
- Plastic bags, toys, film plastics
- Tissues, napkins or paper towels
Note: please set out all recyclables on the evening before the appropriate Friday or Saturday pickup. All recyclables must be in a bin with the lid on please.
Middletown Recycling Drop-off Center
- Location: 76 Monhagen Avenue
- Hours: Monday through Friday, 7:30 am to 3 pm
Will accept mixed recyclables, mixed paper and yard waste.
Note: Please place items in the appropriate containers. Do not bring household garbage.
Yard Waste Program
Put out on Sunday night. Pickup starts Monday morning, April 1st through November 3rd. Leaves, grass clippings and small brush must be in garbage cans or plastic bags. Branches must be tied in manageable bundles 3 feet long and put in a garbage can.
Attention City Residents: please be advised that the new green MSW carts and the new blue Recycling carts are not to be used for yard-waste. Place your yard waste out Sunday evenings in your old receptacles. If you have any questions, please contact the Public Works Office.
- 2021 Middletown Sanitation Plan (PDF)
- 2021 Sanitation Information Brochure (PDF)
- 2023 Holiday Schedule (PDF)
- 2023 Recycling Calendar (PDF)
- Collection Rules for Residence Buildings - Spanish (PDF)
- Collection Rules for Residence Buildings (PDF)
- Garbage Collection Ward by Street (PDF)
- Garbage Depot (JPG)
- NY State Electronic Waste Collection Sites (JPG)
- Orange County Hazardous Waste Disposal (PDF)
- Public Review of Wallkill-Middletown Hazard Mitigation Plan (PDF)
- Recycling Cans (PDF)
- Recycling Cans (Spanish) (PDF)
- Recycling Flyer Spanish (PDF)
City of Middletown Residents: beginning on Monday April 12, 2021, each residence in the City of Middletown will be receiving new carts for their regular household garbage (MSW) and recycling pick up. Please view the New Carts Informational Flyer (PDF) to learn more regarding the new carts and garbage pick up requirements/conditions. You should begin using these carts immediately upon arrival.
If you have questions, please contact the Public Works Office.