Who is eligible to get a copy of a birth certificate?
- The person named on the birth certificate.
- A parent of the person named on the birth certificate. The requesting parent's name must be on the birth certificate.
- A spouse, child or others, but only by order of a New York State court.
What identification needs to be submitted by the applicant?
Application must be submitted with copies of either A or B:
- One of the following forms of valid photo-ID:
- Driver's license
- State-issued, nondriver photo-ID card
- U.S. Military-issued, photo-ID
- Two of the following showing the applicant's name and address:
- Utility or telephone bill
- Letter from a government agency dated within the last six months
Please submit a copy of your U.S. passport in addition to the above ID if you are applying from a foreign country that requires a passport for travel.
Common Denial Reasons:
- Applications without proper ID
- Failure to submit a copy of their U.S. passport in addition to the required identifications when applying from a foreign country that requires a passport for travel