Who is eligible to order a certified copy of a marriage record?
People eligible to get a marriage certificate:
- Other people who have a:
- documented judicial or other proper purpose
- New York State Court Order
If you are not a spouse, you must document a judicial or other proper purpose. For example, you may need a marriage certificate to claim a benefit. You would need an official letter from the agency saying that you need the marriage record to process the claim.
What identification needs to be submitted by the applicant?
Application must be submitted with copies of either A or B:
- One of the following forms of valid photo-ID:
- Driver's license
- State-issued, nondriver photo-ID card
- U.S. Military-issued, photo-ID
- Two of the following showing the applicant's name and address:
- Utility or telephone bill
- Letter from a government agency dated within the last six months
Please submit a copy of your U.S. passport in addition to the above ID if you are applying from a foreign country that requires a passport for travel.
Common Denial Reasons:
- Applications without proper ID
- Failure to submit a copy of their U.S. passport in addition to the required identifications when applying from a foreign country that requires a passport for travel.